Female cancer patient is burned alive after bungling surgeon uses electrical scalpel after applying alcohol-based disinfectant at Romanian hospital
Pancreatic cancer patient was undergoing an operation at hospital in BucharestThe 66-year-old ‘ignited like a torch’ when surgeon used an electrical scalpelSuffered 40% burns when device came into contact with flammable disinfectantNurse threw a bucket of water onto the Romanian to prevent fire from spreading
Published: 14:15 GMT, 30 December 2019 | Updated: 14:22 GMT, 30 December 2019
A female cancer patient has died after being set on fire during a hospital operation in Romania.
The pancreatic cancer patient died on Sunday after suffering burns to 40 per cent of her body when surgeons used an electrical scalpel despite her being treated with an alcohol-based disinfectant at Floreasca urgent care hospital in Bucharest.
Contact with the flammable disinfectant caused combustion and the patient ‘ignited like a torch’, lawmaker Emanuel Ungureanu said on his Facebook page, citing medical staff.
A nurse threw a bucket of water onto the 66-year-old Romanian to prevent the December 22 fire from spreading.
A woman has died after being set on fire during a hospital operation in Romania, the health ministry said Monday, in a case which has cast a spotlight on the ailing health system (file picture)
The health ministry vowed to investigate the ‘unfortunate incident’.
‘The surgeons should have been aware that it is prohibited to use an alcohol-based disinfectant during surgical procedures performed with an electric scalpel,’ deputy minister Horatiu Moldovan said.